Stock Investment Discussion Forums  

Go Back   Stock Investment Discussion Forums > Regional Discussion > Asia
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Default Where are Chinese stocks headed in 2011?

I'm a bit wary of China after having bad luck with CHL (China Mobile) and CHU (China Unicom). I've lost about $10 per share and a total of 19.6% so far.

With CHU I got out with about 6% return which I can't complain about. It would have been far more if I had waited for a few more days for it to hit $17+ or even waited for the steady $16.43 it's been at.

The main reason those particular stocks fell is because Voda Phone sold billions of their shares.

Of course this doesn't reflect the over-all Chinese market, it generally has done well for the BMO ETFs such as ZCH.TO with the exception of the last few days/weeks. This is because more news has come out saying that China is trying to curb inflation, speculation and slow the economy.

For the long-term I think the stocks would do well but I just wish I didn't have to hang onto CHL and wait for it to recover (I'm guessing it could be at least a year or more to break even for myself).

You can see in this report here that once the Bank of China tried to curb inflation the China ETFs dipped further:

http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfund...d=yahoobarrons

Some analysts also say they believe India may be a better bet at this time and their economy has further to go.

Personally I'm in things for the short-term and I'm leaning towards home investments that I understand better and know the potential risks. In Canada if you pick a good utility you generally can't lose in the long-run and the dividends are quite attractive.